If you haven’t read my Advanced Leadership post, go back and read that now. You might have noticed that the advanced leadership skills focus on key areas of character such as: humility, discipline, love, respect, self-worth, just to name a few.
One of the most impactful or maybe the most impactful is self-discipline. As you were reading, the theme of being a visionary and holding that vision for others is a key component. This can be easier said than done.
First, I’m telling you that an advanced leader is going to get out of their comfort zone and try new opportunities. This in and of itself is uncomfortable, then you must hold that vision and conviction to inspire your team to follow you into the unknown.
In order to be successful on this path, you must have a tremendous amount of self-discipline. This is what separates the girls from the women, the boys from the men. When the going gets tough the tough get going. To be the best, expect to work on, hone, and cultivate your self-discipline. Does it mean you’ll get it right from the beginning? No, of course not, but could you? Absolutely. We’re always going to focus on what could go right, so get used to it.
Okay, so let’s jump into the 10 attributes for self-discipline.
10 Attributes for Self-Discipline
- Complete control of themselves
- Takes complete responsibility for everything no matter the outcome
- Holds a clear vision for themselves and their team of the desired outcome
- Sets high standards and lives up to them
- Walks the walk and talks the talk, become a role model for all those that follow you
- Crystal clear clarity of the vision, the discipline and work it will take to complete
- Committed to success of the project
- Unending source of creativity- sometimes there are detours in life and creativity carves paths through these detours to get to the destination
- Committed to continuous learning- no one knows everything and when you are committed to taking on new opportunities, learning is a must
- Consistency is the key to self-discipline without it you’re like a ship without a sail.